Earth Day is April 22! Celebrate by making some simple changes that will add green to your pocket too!
Going green is great for the environment, but that’s not the only benefit. When you make green upgrades in your home, it can also lead to some major savings. Here are some Red Rabbit Team favs:
1. Plant at tree — or two or ten! And strategically place them on the south and west sides of your home, and if possible, provide shade to your air conditioning unit. The energy savings could add up to as much as $250/yr for your cooling bills.
2. Tuck in your water heater. Wrap an insulation blanket around your water heater and lower its running cost as much as 9 percent.
3. Set the mood. Install dimmer switches in the living and dining rooms and three bedrooms to dial down electricity fees about $37 a year.
4. Replace your light bulbs with LED lights. A small upfront investment in LEDs can save hundreds of dollars (and a lot of energy)! Buy them on sale and replace them slowly.
5. Replace the weatherstripping on your doors and windows. Stop the cold air from getting in and the heat from escaping during the upcoming winter
Here are more ideas: Small Footprint and Good Housekeeping.