Real Estate

Dunwoody’s historic properties.

Farmhouse 300dpi
The Cheek-Spruill home, circa 1906, at the corner of Chamblee Dunwoody and Mt. Vernon Roads.

In Dunwoody, Ga., there are 27 properties that remain as part of its near 200-year past. Most date from early to mid 1800s and include private homes, churches, cemeteries and two historic homes that are open to the public. White wooden signs mark most of Dunwoody’s historic properties. Three, however, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

What’s the difference?

The Dunwoody Preservation Trust has identified and erected the white wooden markers for structures and cemeteries that remain from Dunwoody’s earliest days. The markers put a spotlight on the properties as part of its past, but that’s all. Most are privately owned by homeowners that love and appreciate their home’s history, but there are no additional restrictions on how or what the homeowners may do with their properties.

Thanks to the valiant efforts of the Dunwoody Preservation Trust’s first president Lynne Byrd, three properties— the Cheek-Spruill House; the Donaldson-Bannister Farm and Cemetery; and the Isaac Roberts House, a private home at Spalding and Roberts Drive— have been placed on the National Register. Consideration for the designation requires much research and paperwork, and no or little architectural change from the structure’s original design.

What are the restrictions on National Register properties?

To maintain the designation, properties can not be altered without approval of plans and designs that are in keeping with the original design. Beyond that, there are no restrictions, including destruction.

The Donaldson-Bannister Farm is currently undergoing a massive renovation spearheaded by the Dunwoody Preservation Trust and the City of Dunwoody. The property is owned by the city and is considered a public park. The beautiful gardens are open for visitors and tours of the home are available by appointment.

The Cheek-Spruill House is owned by the Dunwoody Preservation Trust. It is partially leased by a law firm, but open to visitors.

Learn more about Dunwoody’s historic properties here: